Drones flew, emcees entertained and cameras caught the action as 175 brave souls questioned their sanity at the sixth annual Frozen Clam Dip and second annual Obstaplunge, the world’s only New Year’s Day plunge featuring an obstacle course.
Individuals of every age and ability – from champion plungers to first-time divers – kicked off the New Year by way of four routes, each cool in its own right. The “Frozen Clam” offered a traditional plunge directly into Narragansett Bay, while two shoreline obstacles courses – the half-mile “Obstaplunge” and the one-mile “Ultra” – tempted adventure before the dive into chilly waters. An added element to this year’s event, the “Nobstaplunge” offered racers an obstacle course option that ended on dry land.
As if overcoming obstacles, testing mental strength and embracing a fresh start weren’t exciting enough, what really marked this year’s event is the amount we raised for the Rhode Island Mentoring Partnership, a 501(c)3 non-profit organization dedicated to the expansion of quality mentoring services for Rhode Island youth.
Tangential details aside, we’re excited to announce the 2017 Frozen Clam and Obstaplunge by the numbers:
- $10,000 net dollars raised for the Rhode Island Mentoring Partnership
- $35,000+ total dollars raised since the event’s inception in 2012
- 175 participants, including Frozen Clammers, Obstaplungers, Ultraplungers and Nobstaplungers
- 12 obstacles, including 11 from Laid-back Fitness and one from BoldrDash
- 29 local organizations who sponsored the event
- 5 years-old: the age of the youngest participant
- 82 years-old: the age of the oldest participant
- 200 man hours to set up, monitor and break down the course
- 40 degrees: water temperature of Narragansett Bay
- 43 degrees: air temperature
- 18 mph: average wind speed
- 40 volunteers who made the whole event possible
This is the sixth year we’ve teamed up with the Rhode Island Mentoring Partnership, and every year we feel energized not only by the enthusiasm of our plungers, but also by the awareness we’re able to raise for the local youth. To all of those who participated, spectated, sponsored and volunteered, thank you. Thank you for your strength, time, support and positive energy on New Year’s Day, and into 2017!
A special thank you to our sponsors:
- Airhart Electric
- Balance Act Bookkeeping
- Bald Hill Dodge Chrysler Jeep Kia
- CertaPro Painters of Southern RI
- CMIT Solutions of Central RI
- Coastway Community Bank
- Cox Media
- Phillips Studios
- Diversified Services
- Elissa Contillo, OD
- Metz Moving & Storage
- Greenwood Credit Union
- Martin Woodworks
- McCormick Home Improvement
- Mutual Hope Foundation
- NFC Mortgage
- Ocean State Safety
- People’s Credit Union
- Precision Graphics
- Richard’s Pub/Ritrovo Pub & Grill
- RI Real Estate Services
- Salter, McGowan, Sylvia & Leonard Attorneys at Law
- Sandra Peters-Ameriprise Financial
- Slocum Realty
- Stephen Gentile, CPA
- William J. Riley Plumbing & Heating
To view even more scenes from the event, check out our Facebook album.
Join us for another dip at the Save the Bay Splash on 2/11/17 on Easton’s Beach in Newport!