Chicken Cacciatore Stuffed Spaghetti Squash
This recipe takes a bit of prep work but, like all things Italian, is totally worth the work. Spaghetti squash is a simple, easy and versatile squash that truly goes the distance. Dress it up in pesto, top it up with grandma’s famous meatballs or tap into your inner child and take it straight with salt and butter. This recipe can be prepared ahead and frozen before baking and, even better, the leftovers make for an amazing grab-and-go breakfast option served hot or cold.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 50 minutes
- 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1 spaghetti squash
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 1 cup crimini mushrooms (or any variety), chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 (14.5oz) can diced tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2-3 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
- 2 1/2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 1/2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 3 eggs, whisked
- garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper to taste
- Optional: cheese for topping
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F. Line two baking sheets with aluminum foil or parchment paper.
- Place the chicken on a plate lined with paper towels and pat dry. Set aside.
- Prepare the squash by cutting it in half lengthwise and spooning out the seeds. Place cut side down on baking sheet.
- Sprinkle both sides of the chicken with garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper. Mix olive oil and red wine vinegar in a separate bowl and brush on chicken.
- Place both the chicken and the squash in the oven and bake for 30 minutes.
- While the chicken and squash are baking, add 1 tablespoon of olive oil to a large pan and sauté onions, peppers and mushrooms on medium heat until onions are translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic, diced tomatoes, tomato paste and chopped basil and reduce to low. Simmer while chicken and squash finish baking.
- Using a fork, thread the spaghetti squash and add to a lightly greased 11x14” glass dish. Shred the chicken thighs by pulling apart with two forks.
- Add the chicken to the vegetable mixture and mix to incorporate. Add the entire mixture to the dish with the spaghetti squash and mix.
- Add the whisked eggs and incorporate into the mixture.
- Bake for an additional 20 minutes, and top with additional fresh basil to garnish.